In the 20th century, analog media was popular and in demand. However, with the advent of new technologies, the time of analog media has come to an end. Everywhere you look, digital media is everywhere. For example, smartwatches, phones, cars, compasses have been digitized over the years.
Even though all power has shifted to digital media, this does not mean that analog media has ceased to exist. Some people still have videos from the past that they recorded on a VHS analog video device. However, there are few devices left for viewing or listening to them. Sometimes they just can’t be found.
Hence, to make these recordings readily available and likely portable, you must convert them to a digital format supported by most devices on the market today. This is the same as – transcribe youtube videos to text for people who do not have access to listening to the material. Therefore, we have prepared tips for converting media from analog to digital, which you can put into practice right now.
Why Should You Convert Media from Analogue To Digital?
Table of Contents
In addition to the fact that few devices could listen to VHS material, analog media does not last forever. The fact is that after a while, cassettes may be demagnetized, and this will lead to destruction. However, if you convert analog media to digital, you can use it forever since external factors do not affect its degradation. Plus, even if your cassettes can last a long time, that doesn’t mean you can’t lose them.
For example, how many times have you lost their Christmas, birthday, or Easter tapes? Probably a lot. Digital tools will save you from this outcome. Digital files are available online and playable on any device. Moreover, cloud storage does not take up much space, like the old drawers with cassettes. You will be able to share digital files online and not harm their appearance. Also, with the help of digital tools, you can make changes to analog files – create subtitles for relatives who have a hard of hearing or transcribe audio to text.
What Analog Formats Have Preserved Until Today?
The phonograph was a revolution in the world of sound. The main merit of the device was that people could reproduce the sound recorded on the foil. However, these devices are so few that they are in museums or antique collectors. Most likely, many of you do not have such tools. However, you might still have the following analog audio formats:
Cassette tapes of types I, II, III, IV.
- LP and EP records – for example, gramophone records.
- 10-inch vinyl records.
- 12-inch vinyl records.
- 7-inch singles.
- Flexi discs – they disappeared by the 90s but still can be found in the Beatles and Heavy Metal music collectors.
Besides analog audio files, you might have analog video files. For example:
- VHS, developed by JVC in 1976, is the standard for consumer video recording.
- S-VHS – allows you to get a higher quality color image.
- VHS-C is the same as VHS or S-VHS – only the cassette is miniature.
- Video-8 – This format is aimed only at home appliances.
- Hi8 is an in-camera image stabilizer.
- A VCR is a tool for recording a television signal onto magnetic tape.
- MicroMV is the first recording format for amateur camcorders.
If you are the owner of such analog audio and video materials, you should consider converting them.
2 Ways To Convert Audio into Analog To Digital
Today you can convert analog audio files yourself. You need to understand the technique and be patient. The methods below are helpful for cassettes in good condition. If the cassettes are in poor condition, use the transcription services – experts know how to extract information from any file.
USB Cassette Converter
One of the easiest ways to convert analog audio files to digital format yourself is to use a dedicated USB cassette converter. Working with these tools does not require special technical skills and knowledge – this is a machine for beginners. To use this device successfully, follow these tips:
- Buy a USB cassette converter. The most reliable tool is Reshow – it comes in handy for small files. There are other options for large files, but they will cost you more. How to choose a USB cassette converter? Suppose it is essential for you to get high-quality sound in the converted version. In that case, accordingly, you should choose the tools that can give you material without degrading the audio quality.
- Take the disc that comes with the USB cassette converter. Insert this disc into your computer and download the software. If you did not find the included disk in a USB cassette converter, you should contact the seller or visit the manufacturer’s website. Perhaps they will provide you with the program in an online format.
- Run the program. After downloading, launch the program and follow the instructions. The program will offer you step-by-step steps to digitize the tape. If you’ve used a cheap USB cassette converter but want to improve your sound, use audio editing apps. For example, you can remove interference or extraneous sounds. If you got the cassette from your relatives and after conversion, you still cannot decipher the message, contact the transcription company. Professionals will instantly decrypt the data, and you will transfer this information to the future generation.
As you can see, the weight of the conversion process lies with the digital device.
Also Raed 4 Ways You Can Improve Your Marketing Efforts with Video Walls
If you want to hear the original sound of a cassette tape, a tape record player will help you. This tool will also help you to convert your old LP records:
- Purchase a vinyl cassette warmer or tape recorder. Today many online platforms sell modern players. If you have these tools before starting the conversion, make sure they work.
- Take cable with two RCA plugs at one end and a mini ⅛ inch stereo plug at the other. Your tape recorder or turntable has Tape Out inputs – connect RCA plugs to these; click the other end to the Line In connector on your PC sound card.
- Download and run Audacity. In this program, in the menu section, find the microphone icon – next to it is the audio inputs menu. Select the audio input based on your connections. Let’s give a hint – the audio input should appear as a Line-In device. Now do a test run – this will help you make sure that the program records sound correct. Below the menu bar, click on the Equalizer section – the meter should be completely green. If you see a different color, then adjust the Audacity input slider.
- To start converting, click the record button in Audacity and start recording on a turntable or tape recorder. Don’t pause while converting audio – let the program record the entire audio. No need to move the cassette to the other side – this will help you prevent degradation in sound quality. Later, you can split all the records as you need.
- If the recording is over, hit Stop in Audacity and turn off the recorder or turntable. You can edit the sound quality in the program. If this is not necessary, select the recorded file and click Export. Select the export format and the location where you would like to download it.
As you can see, this method is more complex and lengthy. However, after the first try, you will be able to adjust the conversion process faster.
Reliable Way to Convert Analog Video to Digital
There is also a valid way to convert analog video files to a digital format. Here is a step-by-step instruction:
- Choose the right player for your multimedia. If you own a VHS cassette, you will need a complete deck player. If you have another tape, then you need to record it on the camera. If you have a player, take a SCART cable. This cable has three cords – connect them to the three output ports on the player. Then click the USB on the other end of your computer.
- Download an analog video converter – for example, Wondershare Uniconverter. The program has step-by-step recommendations for importing analog video. You will need to select a file format and click the convert button. Once downloaded, you can export the digital file to any location convenient for you.
We have introduced the most effective way that will not take much of your time. The result will delight you!
A No-Win Option To Convert Analog Video And Audio File To Digital
It so happens that you get confused in cords, buttons, or players, which slows down the independent conversion of analog media into digital format. Therefore, we recommend that you turn to a professional for help – this is a win-win option for video and audio. For a small fee, experts convert any media file in the shortest possible time.
To use the services of a professional, you will need to deliver audio safely and video cassettes to them – they should not break. Then you will get the files in the cloud storage, USB stick, or DVD drive. Experts will be able to relieve you of stress, save time and, if necessary, restore access to damaged files.
Also, Read about Types of Corporate Videos You Can Use to Showcase Your Business
Transcribe and Share Digital Files
Converting analog video and audio cassettes to digital format is a great way to transfer information to future generations. However, what should those people who have a hard of hearing do? We recommend transcribing audio and video to text.
As a result, more people will be able to feel like equal members of society. Also, video and audio transcription will make your files available to the whole world – you need to translate the text into different languages. Therefore, if you are converting analog media into digital format for your audience, do not forget about people with disabilities – your actions can change their lives!